Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Enid

Welcome to Enid, Oklahoma.
A city full of brown grass, crazy accents, and 100+ temperatures.
Jake and I arrived Sunday afternoon and my first thought wasn't "where are all of the mountains?" I was expecting flat. It was, where is all of the color? where is all the grass? everything is dead. every park, every yard, dry and brown. Every time I walk into the sun, my mind and body have one objective. Get inside. Get inside now. Poor cripple Jake gets left behind while I am speed walking to get some A/C as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately, inside for us is not that great. It's called Temporary Living Facilities. And it's actually a step up from where we were suppose to be at. Which is sad and slightly scary. It has A/C and Cable, so really I shouldn't complain. But the full sized bed, crying toddler next door, and tiny bathroom... its the worst. Jake and I have way too long of limbs to be sharing a full. One of these nights someone is going to be clipped in the face with an elbow and it won't be pretty. They told us we can only stay in the TLF's for two weeks before we get kicked out and put in the motel type rooms. Our fault for not reserving far enough ahead of time. Which makes my desire for a house all the more urgent. 

This brings me to housing. We visited the housing office yesterday and luckily they are super nice. I'll probably become her best friend so I can try and weasel my way to the top. haha.We are higher up on the list then we thought, but it still gives me little hope. So I will probably stop by everyday to see if it changes. I really don't want an apartment.

But for now, we will stay in our temporary home and pray for a base home and autumn weather. Jake is slowly completing his in processing tasks. He has two weeks to complete them before they start assigning him random duties. Now the trick is just finding things for me to do...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you two! Glad you made it safe, and hope you get a place soooooon.

    ReplyDelete

now. do it. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...