Tuesday, August 17, 2010

some great hints to serve by....

So today at work I received a lovely typed letter on fancy stationary paper from my manager, informing me that I did not give the proper service to a certain customer. At first I was sort of stunned that someone was that upset with me, I could not remember anyone complaining. Then I read it... here is the list of things I did wrong as written in my letter:

Never informed of the specials of the day
Never offered pepper for my salad- had to ask for
Ordered ice tea and no sweetner offered- had to ask for
Empty salad plate left on my table- till I was finished with lunch
Empty ice tea glass left on my table- after 2nd glass was served
(here's my favorite) Dessert was offered with a hand on your hip + a flip tone in your voice

It shocks me that people are that... observant? And I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is with my hand being on my hip. Oh, and what does it mean to have flip tone in my voice? She said the letter was sent in hopes that I stop and think about each and every person who sits down at a table. And that I make them feel like they are the only people in the world.  Well obviously she thinks she is the only person in the world. I admit that there are things I can work on as a server, but when I have ten more people I am taking care of, forgive me if I take an extra minute to grab your glass, or for thinking you were still working on your salad since it was on the opposite side of the table. 

Anyway, after a few tears and moments of self-pity, I regained a bit of confidence and decided not to be angry. Yes, I pity you my sad and lonely customer... I hope you find better things to do with your time than to write me a specific letter about how I didn't make your lunch the most perfect 45 minutes of your life. I Love my job :)

1 comment:

  1. ew. ew ew ew. go die serving and that customer. i hate them. i know who we can TP next...

    ReplyDelete

now. do it. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...