Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Servers Diatribe

So my new thing is to make random top ten lists. Like... top ten reasons I want to leave Logan... or top ten reasons i want to move out of my apartment... top ten reasons why i should be excited for school. Don't know why I do it. Girl venting I guess. Tonight's thought was...



Top Ten Reasons I Hate Serving:

(before you read... know that as much as I hate serving and can't wait to be done with it, I am very VERY grateful to be employed. I'm not a spoiled brat, just a frustrated employee in desperate need of liberation.)

1. People telling you what to do. for hours. and treating you like your their slave. Their slave that can't make a mistake without serious consequences. I know you want your meal to be enjoyable but try to understand that we're only human.
2. Cuties who think that 10% is a good tip. Look, I know how it is to be poor and stingy. But if you have enough money to go to dinner at a nice restaurant, you need to plan on leaving AT LEAST 15%. I mean c'mon people. We make $2.15 an hour! Which leads to...
3. Unpredictable wages. You could make $70 or you could make $25...
4. Managers who have bipolar personalities. (hahaa scary, right?)
5. Servers who chum up to the managers and get away with everything.
6. A hot, uncomfortable uniform that gets splattered with food at least 5 times in a shift.
7. Coming home smelling like that food.
8. Being on your feet for hours, carrying heavy dishes and crap like that. Yeah, hello sore feet. and shoulders. and lower back.
9. Surrounded by delicious food that you cannot eat.
10. Having to serve on holidays because EVERYONE eats out.

Now this probably sounded a tad melodramatic but I've talked to a lot of loved ones about how frustrated I am with my job and was surprised to hear how unaware they were of the circumstances most servers find themselves in. So you might roll your eyes OR you might say, huh, I didn't know that, I'm going to tip better next time, maybe treat my server better next time. I hope it's the latter.

With any luck, this bitter post will help you take the time to notice if your server has lots of tables they're taking care of before you get bugged about your refill. If your food is late or screwed up, don't just assume your server is satan. It could've been the kitchens fault. Just have pity on us people. It's a tough job.

P.S. Serving is not always horrible. You usually get the one awesome table who makes your night. And you work with lots of fun, interesting people. And get discounts on food and stuff. I just usually get caught up in the rough stuff.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. I started being extra nice to waiters the minute I became one and understood the feeling. You can get through it!!!

    ReplyDelete

now. do it. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...