Thursday, August 2, 2012

Zella's Chocolate Cake



I'm a big chocolate fan. 

And this, my friends, is the most delicious, moist, and fudgy chocolate cake out there. 

I know, I've tried them all. 

A special thank you to Zella Nelson for making this cake on a weekly basis while I was growing up.
Because everyone knows, a teenage girl needs a regular helping of chocolate to survive.

Zella's Chocolate Cake


Prep

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter/flour a sheet pan

Step One: Mix Together

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda

Set Aside.

Step Two: Melt on Stove

1 cup butter
1 cup water
4 T Cocoa
2 tsp Vanilla 

Simmer and combine dry ingredients with those in sauce pan.

Step Three: Turn off stove and add to mixture

3/4 cup Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
2 beaten eggs

Stir until smooth! 
Pour into prepared sheet pan and bake for 20-30 minutes.
It's quick.
(you can also use a bundt or 13x9 with a longer bake time but the sheet is my fav)

Frosting: Do on Stove

1/2 cup butter
4 T Cocoa 
2 tsp Vanilla
approx 4 cups of Powdered Sugar.
Evaporated Milk to desired consistency

Oh boy.

Melt until smooth and fudgy.
Pour over cake.
It's that easy.

I usually let mine chill for a while before serving, 
but some like it hot if you know what I'm sayin.
Sometimes I shave some White Chocolate on top for some extra razzle dazzle.

ENJOY!

4 comments:

  1. Court...I have just pinned your beautiful picture on my pinterest. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't thank you enough for posting this! Zella hooked us up with a cake for our wedding and I've been DYING to have it ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of all this, I notice your very cute hair do (and did you color it darker, or is that just photo effects?).

    ReplyDelete

now. do it. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...