Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Canvas State Art

Guys, I finally put my big girl panties on and decorated this house. 
I hate spending lots of money on art, so lately I've been trying to 
recreate things I find on Pinterest!


 I bought some 11x14 canvas at Hobby Lobby and used some
 left over paint to make this Utah creation. 
I got my inspiration from this digital print and this canvas on Pinterest, 
but I did it a little differently. 

1. I used six pieces of paint tape and put them directly on the canvas to make the shape of Utah. You can move them around until you like the way it looks, make sure its there's an equal space on both top and bottom. Seal the tape with your fingernail to make sure no tape slips underneath. If it does, grab a clean wet paintbrush or a Q tip to dab it up.

2. Fill the state space with the color of your choice. Acrylic paint works great, I used the leftover latex paint from my desk makeover. Make sure you leave a square open around your hometown, then go in later with a small brush to line out the heart. If you want to make it easier, just go back at the end and paint a heart in the color of your choice. I was weird and wanted it to be bare canvas.

3. Let it dry, then go back in with the paint tape (it's my best friend) and block out your state shape. Finally space out your lines, I did mine about an inch and a half apart. Block out the white stripes with tape, seal it, then paint it! I went in after with some water color to add a little depth. 

 Let it dry, peel the tape off, and enjoy your fantastic, cheap, piece of homemade art!

2 comments:

  1. Super cute court!!! I want to make one now and place the heart in the exact place......well maybe a little south and west of it! :) Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute decor idea! I should add something similar to my gallery wall....love your blog, by the way :) Found you on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete

now. do it. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...