Thursday, April 26, 2012

Midwest Chowder


This was my all time favorite meal growing up.
Christmas, birthdays... this was the request. 
It's warm, cheesy and hearty to boot.


 Chop up the potatoes, carrots, onion, and celery.
Put in the pot of seasoned boiling water. 
Cover and Simmer until vegetables are cooked through.


While the veggies are cooking, start your rue with melted butter and flour over low heat.

Whisk until it is thick, smooth, and bubbly.

Slowly add the milk, whisking until smooth. Add in cheese slowly, whisk until melted.


You should have a thick, cheesy sauce when your done. 


Drain some water from your vegetables, if you want your chowder reeeally thick, drain most of it.  Pour in cheese sauce and stir. 

Add deli ham and corn to your liking and stir! 

Enjoy and eat in bowlfuls. 
My momma always serves it with corn bread 
and I like to add some homemade honey butter.

4 cups boiling water
4 cups chopped potatoes
1 cup carrot slices
1 cup celery slices
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk
4-6 cups shredded 
sharp cheddar cheese

1 can of corn
diced deli ham

3 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! Especially since it's a bit chilly and rainy here today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite recipes that you gave me! I make is all the time when I take a meal to someone - I always get lots of compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that stuff is amazing! love having so many brothers who marry amazing cooks and bring all kinds of yummy recipes into my life!

    ReplyDelete

now. do it. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...